Leftover turkey broth is a wonderful way to utilize the remaining turkey carcass and scraps to make a flavorful homemade broth that can be used in soups, stews, or other recipes. Here’s a simple recipe to make leftover turkey broth:
- Turkey carcass and scraps (from a roasted turkey)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by removing any excess meat from the turkey carcass and set it aside for other uses.
- Place the turkey carcass, including bones and skin, into a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover the turkey carcass completely.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and any fresh herbs you prefer.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let the broth simmer gently for several hours, ideally 3-4 hours. This long simmering time helps extract the flavors and nutrients from the turkey bones and vegetables.
- Occasionally skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface of the broth.
- After simmering, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a clean container, discarding the solids (bones, vegetables, and herbs).
- At this point, you can season the broth with salt and pepper to taste. Be cautious with the salt as it’s easier to add more later if needed.
- Let the broth cool to room temperature, then refrigerate it overnight. This allows the fat to rise to the surface and solidify, making it easier to skim off.
- The next day, skim off any solidified fat from the top of the broth and discard it.
- Transfer the leftover turkey broth to airtight containers or freeze it in smaller portions for later use.
The leftover turkey broth can be used as a base for soups, stews, gravies, or as a flavorful liquid in recipes that call for broth. It adds a rich depth of flavor and is a great way to reduce waste by making use of the turkey leftovers.
Enjoy your homemade leftover turkey broth!
Discover More: ‘A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Parmesan-Braised Gigante Beans with Turkey