Crepes are thin, delicate pancakes that can be filled with various sweet or savory fillings. Here’s a basic recipe for making classic homemade crepes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional, for sweet crepes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar (if using), and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then add the milk and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients while whisking continuously. Keep whisking until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. It should have a consistency slightly thinner than regular pancake batter. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk; if it’s too thin, add a bit more flour.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and let the batter rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour. This resting time helps the gluten relax and results in more tender crepes.
- Over medium heat, preheat a flat-bottomed skillet or nonstick crepe pan. You can lightly grease the pan with butter or cooking spray before making each crepe, but a good non-stick pan often doesn’t require greasing between each one.
- When the pan is heated, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the center (adjust according to the size of your pan) and move the pan quickly to spread the batter thinly and evenly. The crepe needs to be extremely thin.
- Cook the crepe for about 1-2 minutes until the edges start to lift slightly and the bottom is lightly golden. Use a spatula to gently lift and flip the crepe to cook the other side for another 1-2 minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer the crepe to a plate and continue making more crepes with the remaining batter.
- Fill the crepes with your favorite fillings, such as Nutella, fresh fruits, whipped cream, jam, cheese, ham, spinach, or any other combination you prefer.
- Fold or roll the crepes with the fillings and serve immediately. You can also dust them with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate sauce for extra sweetness.
Enjoy your delicious classic homemade crepes ! They make for a delightful breakfast, dessert, or even a light meal depending on the fillings you choose.
Discover More: ‘A Step-by-Step Guide to Making: Ice cream of three flavors